Sunday, March 18, 2012

here we go!

So I know it's been a while since my last post.  There wasn't much going on in the garden yet, and I have been very busy doing a couple different shows.  Currently I'm working on As You Like It, which opens in April, but it's only four nights a week so it's less stressful than Chicago was.  :)

Anyway - I bought stuff for the garden today!  I went over to Lowe's and picked up two self-watering containers for my beets and my carrots, and then one long skinny one for my lettuce.  I also got some bags of potting soil mix.  They had very few vegetables and herbs, and the #1 herb I require is catnip, so off I went over to Jesse Israel and Sons over at the Farmer's Market.  There I picked up two small-ish catnip plants and a good looking rosemary.  I also really want some basil, but they didn't have any yet.  I know I'm early for this stuff, but it's been so warm and I have friends in WNC who are already planting outside and have more experience than I do, so I figured what the heck.

I came home and first I planted my catnip and rosemary.  I reused pots I had previously for these two, both because it was cheaper and because herbs do better in non-self watering pots.  The plan is to have a huge thing of catnip for the kitties.  Usually I buy catnip every year and Lando especially gets used to getting fresh catnip whenever I go out onto the porch.  Maybe since I've actually potted it this year, it will grow and I'll get to keep it over the winter.

Here is my catnip and rosemary -


Then I put potting soil in my three new containers and planted my seeds for the beets, carrots, and lettuce.  I also have cucumber seeds but everything I've read said to wait on those, so I'm holding back for now.  I hope I can get the cucumber vines to trellis up the railing, which I think would be cool.  I also want to buy a tomato plant and a big self-watering pot for the tomato plant, but I'm waiting on that one too.  I *also* really want to get like a big barrel or something and try some potatoes.  :)  But maybe next year.  I dunno.

Here's my seeds, all planted and ready to grow!


So  yeah!  I will keep an eye on things and let everyone know how it is going!  And then maybe in April I'll plant my cucumbers and pick up a tomato plant.  I'll start getting my weekly CSA in May, I got an email the other day from the farm that said they had started planting too, so here we go!

1 comment:

  1. I can give you a basil plant! Assuming my seedlings don't all die on me. I usually have good luck with basil, so....I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how they're doing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...